Does speaking closely to someone give you anxiety? This is a feeling that most people face. Research indicates that globally, 1 in 4 people have a bad breath. Halitosis is the major cause of bad oral hygiene. In the U.S, it is estimated that about 65 million Americans have suffered from bad breath in their lives. This shows how rampant the issue of bad breath is. The good news is that there are scientifically proven methods that you can use to increase your oral health.
Having healthy teeth requires lifetime care. Your overall health and smile depend on your dental care hygiene. Failure to take great care of your oral health may increase the chances of health conditions such as heart disease and dementia. Whether you have a bad odor or crooked teeth, the secret to good oral hygiene is knowledge on proper oral hygiene. If you seek to improve your oral hygiene, here is a guide to help you:
Brushing your teeth does not go beyond cleaning your mouth. Brushing reaches only 70% of the tooth surface. The other 30% can be reached by flossing. Flossing helps in removing the pieces of food that are stuck between the teeth. It is an effective way of stimulating gums, lowering inflammation, and reducing plaque.
Lack of flossing may cause decay and cavities. Bacteria grow in a moist environment. Since the mouth is always moist, bacteria can easily thrive. This is why it is critical to floss to remove any substances that cannot be accessed by a toothbrush.
The question that arises is how frequently you should floss. Here’s the answer. Many factors play a role. The gaps between your teeth, your teeth size, and the types of food consumed affect how much you should floss. Consider a bi-annual or annual cleaning to prevent major buildup.
Limit your soda and alcohol intake
Soda is a carbonated drink that contains phosphoric and citric acid which negatively affects oral health. When you drink soda, the acids soften the enamel hence increasing the chances of tooth decay and cavities.
Alcohol contains sugar content which is bad for the teeth and gums. Sugar increases the chances of cavities. Cavities are caused by bacterial infections. Alcohol causes dehydration. A mix of dehydration, acid, and sugar causes bad breath. Dehydration is a good environment for breeding gum disease and tooth decay.
Soda and alcohol contain phosphorus which is important in contributing to good health. However, when taken in large quantities, it causes dental hygiene issues such as gum disease and tooth decay.
Tooth decay, injury, or periodontal diseases may cause tooth loss. If you suffer from tooth loss, then it is time to consider dental implants. An implant is an effective way of replacing the root portion of the missing tooth. A dental implant will improve your long-term oral health. It provides a permanent solution since dental implants fuse with the bone hence feeling like your own teeth.
When taken good care of, implants can last a lifetime. Implants will help you restore your smile and feel better. Today, there are experts providing dental implants in Jersey City with specialist skills who will provide you with the best possible dental implant services and results.
If you feel like you have bacterial buildup, then you should consider mouth rinse. Most people do not use mouthwash since they do not know how it works. If you do not know how it works, worry no more. Mouthwash penetrates in areas where a toothbrush does not reach. It cleanses bacterial build up hence restoring good breath. The spread of bacteria in the teeth and gum line causes cavities and gingivitis. However, using a mouthwash will help in killing bacteria and adding minerals to the teeth.
Drinking more water
Water is effective in eradicating bad breath. You should consider taking a glass of water when you wake up in the morning and after taking meals. This will help in preventing the buildup of plaque and acidic residues.
Water is also necessary for the overall body. It goes beyond your overall health as it helps in maintaining blood pressure and skin health among others. Taking the recommended glasses of water a day will help you stay hydrated hence relieving constipation, improving your energy levels and cognitive processes.
Smoking causes bad breath and discoloration of the teeth. It is also associated with weakened teeth, reduces the success rate of dental implants, and increases the chances of infected gums. Most people end up masking tobacco smell using sweets and coffee. This does more harm since using added sugar and flavors may increase the rate of plaque buildup hence causing teeth damage and increasing bad breath.
Making these changes to your daily routine will improve your overall oral health greatly. However, if you have pain in your mouth and consistent bad breath, consider visiting a dentist to avoid any nerve damage and complications in the future.